HomePortfolioJourneysPicturesProjectsContact
Charlotta Richter
Nature Photography & Blog
BikeLollapalooza
Refurbishing my old Dutch Bike
-all pursued items are listed (and linked to) at the bottom-
dutch bike bike restauration refurbishing
My mother endowed me this lovely Dutch Bike as a present after finishing college. She had bought it on a flew market a couple of years before that, and I've been jusing it a lot with all its rustiness. I affectionately called it "Schrottmühle" (could be translated to scrap item). During a sumer project I refurbished my bike, because I wanted to preserve it.





I started by disassembling the whole bike.

It was even more rusty than I aspected.






Those screw should have held the mudguard.
When I had seperated all parts I abrabed the surface with sandpaper.

That was when I discovered this number. Possibly an individual production number? Sadly I didn't find anything. I also don't know which bike brand my one is made by.


I covered the metal parts I planned to keep with Fertan. This way I treated the rusty spots.

After cleaning the metal parts with break cleaner, I sprayed two layers of base code and three layers of red colour (Volvo 602 Dark Red car spray). Be careful with the backround you're spraying on.
I needed to replace some spokes. You can do that by hooking one end in the pivot and screwing the screw in from the top.
I covered the screws with a rim band by Schwalbe.
That's my sketch of how the back wheel and all the bars were connected. Just a reminding note.

If you plan to do something like that with your own bike I recommend to take many pictures and notes. It will make it easier to rebuild it.



I bought a new handlebar. The construction works by inserting a long screw in the pipe. By turning the screw the parts inside the pipe tilt and hold the handlebar in place.




The front break works in a very easy way. You basicly just secure it on your handlebar and attach the cable at your chock block. The back break works when the lighter metal part (which is full of dirt in the picture) is attached to the bar.

By the way: By tightening the other screw (that shows downwards in this picture)  at the end of the holder where the pivot is pushed in you can control the tension of the bycikle chain.

I bought some new mudguards (I sticked to chrome). To fit them in the holder I had to peen the right shape.
I hang the bike up while working to make it easier.
My biggest problem was the bottom bracket. All items produced after the 1990s have an own case. So you have to buy one that don't has the case. The cup you can see inside the pipe is a remain of the old bracket (a fact I didn't knew while taking the picture).

In the end I went to a bike shop in Hamburg. They pressed in the bracket within 15 minutes and I got rid of the problem. That is the easiest way (in the case that you aren't a bike expert).
That's what the foot pedals, sprocket and bottom brackets looked after I went to the shop.

dutch bike bike restauration refurbishing And that's the result. :)
All that remained of the old bike are:
-the 2 felloes
-the frame
-the baggage porter
I had to buy:
-break

-bell
-tires
-mudguard
-bike stander (to secure it better put glue on the screw)
-pedals, spokes
-handlebar
-sprocket
-bottom bracket (132 mm, einpressen 40mm)
- electric lamps (front and back),
-front baggage porter
-4 bottles of colour spray

-saddle